When it starts getting colder and darker earlier I just want to get cozy on the sofa, have a tea and eat some comfort food. Between autumn and Christmas one of my favourite things to bake are cinnamon rolls. When I start craving them I know Christmas isn’t that far away anymore and that just gets me so excited! That taste will get you right in the mood for winter and excited for the pre-christmastime, cuddling up on the sofa, make some hot chocolates and watch a cozy film.
I made them so often last year and changed up the recipe multiple times to make it perfect! They are so fluffy and soft! The recipe is also very easy. You don’t need to buy very special ingredients, you’re probably going to have everything you need at home already! Just allow some extra time for the yeast dough to rise in between the steps. It’s worth the wait!
I also filmed an IGTV for you on my Instagram if you want to see how I did it.
INGREDIENTS for 12 rolls:
For the dough:
- 1 cup warm milk
- 1 TBSP dry yeast
- 3 TBSP soft butter
- 1 egg
- 1/2 TSP salt
- 2 TBSP sugar
- 4 cups flour
For the filling:
- 3 TBSP melted butter
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 TBSP cinnamon
For the glaze:
- 2 TBSP cream cheese
- 1 TBSP soft butter
- 2 TBSP powdered sugar
- 1/2 TBSP milk
- Warm up 1 cup milk in a sauce pan or in the microwave and add the dry yeast to it. Stir and leave it for 10 minutes.
- Mix the butter, egg, sugar and salt together in a stand mixer using a dough hook (you can use a hand mixer as well) and add the milk-yeast mixture. Then add the flour bit by bit. I always add 1 cup, mix it together on low speed and then add the next one. Keep mixing until the dough pulls away from the sides of the bowl. You can add more flour if needed. The dough should be soft but also a bit sticky. Cover the bowl with a towel or plastic wrap and let the dough rest for one hour until it’s double in size.
- Meanwhile you can prepare the filling. Melt the butter in the microwave and mix the brown sugar together with the cinnamon in a separate bowl.
- If the dough is ready roll it our to a rectangle and brush it with the melted butter. Sprinkle the sugar-cinnamon mixture on it and form a roll with the dough. Then cut it in even slices (probably 12 rolls) and place them cut side up in a pan or an a baking sheet. I always put 6 rolls into one pan. Now have to wait another 30 minutes for them to rise in the pan.
- After 30 minutes you can brush the rolls with some milk. That will make them more shiny! Then bake them in the preheated oven on 170°C/340°F for 15 minutes.
- While baking mix together the cream cheese, butter and powdered sugar with a hand mixer for the glaze. Add 1/2 TBSP milk to make it a bit more fluid.
- After 15 minutes get the cinnamon rolls out of the oven and pour the glaze over them.