As Christmas Day is getting closer I always start craving festive lush meals for dinner. I just wanna get those Hogwarts great hall dinner feels! The one thing that reaches that expectation is a traditional British pie with a flaky buttery crust and warm and rich chicken-mushroom filling. Additionally with some Harry Potter on the TV – it can’t get any better!
This recipe is very easy to make, but it will take some time. It will take you about 1:30 h until your done – but believe me it is so worth the wait! Begin with the pie crust and prepare the filling while the dough cools in the fridge. The ingredients for the pie crust should be as cold as possible – that will make your crust perfectly flakey as the cold butter fats melts in oven.
For the pie crust:
- 350 g all purpose flour
- 1/2 TSP salt
- 250 g cold butter
- 1/2 cup ice water (or really cold)
- beaten egg to brush the lid
For the filling:
- 400 g chicken breast
- 175 g mushrooms
- two shallots
- one glove of garlic or garlic powder
- 350 ml chicken broth
- 3 TBSP flour
- salt, pepper, thyme
- Start with prepare the pastry mixing the flour and salt together in a big bowl. Dice the cold butter and add it to the dry ingredients. Mix with an electric mixer or kitchen machine until the mixture is crumbly and flakey. Then add just enough of the ice water until you can knead the mixture into a stiff dough. It shouldn’t be too sticky, so be careful with adding the water. Maybe you might need more or less than the specified amount of 1/2 a cup.
- Split the dough in two separate balls the same size and wrap them in plastic wrap. Let them cool in the fridge for about 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 180° C / 355 °F.
- Now cut the mushrooms, shallots and the chicken breast into cubes. Saute the shallots and mushrooms with some olive oil for 5 minutes. Add the chicken broth and the flour and let it cook for 10 minutes until it thickens up. Then add the chicken and garlic. Let it simmer for another 5 minutes and season with salt, pepper and thyme. Set aside and let it cool down until you’re ready to fill the pie.
- Put the first pastry ball out of the fridge and roll it out to a circle big enough to fit in your pie dish – think about the edges! Tip: roll it out on the plastic wrap it is wrapped in and place your dish over the dough to measure out how much you will probably need for the bottom and the edges. Then place the plastic wrap up side down and press the pastry in the dish. Cut of the excess and your done! Then roll out the other pastry ball for the lid.
- Fill the pie crust with the chicken-mushroom mixture, lay the lid on top and press shut on the edges. Brush the lid with a beaten egg and cut in the middle (I cut in a star because I wanna see Christmas everywhere :D).
- Bake for 45 minutes!